Our identity - 100 years of HSL
HSL has been well known in Singapore and the region for almost a century. We will be celebrating our centenary in 2020!
The school opened its first simple classroom in the billiard room of the Hollandse Club on Cairnhill Road in 1920. In 1928, the school relocated to a beautiful building on Orange Grove Road. Part of the building (known as the pavilion) is still in use as a meeting and party space, and is located next to the tennis courts of the Shangri-La Hotel.
Beautiful school building
Nowadays, the school is housed at a wonderful central location on Bukit Tinggi Road. In 2002, a separate building was added for our nursery school, Jip & Janneke, and in 2008 a new wing was opened with four new classrooms, a Learning Support Centre, a new children’s kitchen, an art room and a music/dance space. Two additional rooms came into use in the summer of 2014. The school also has a beautiful and comprehensive library and a fantastic PE Hall, which is also used for assemblies and after-school activities.
HSL has a neutral-exceptional character and is a legal person (Limited) incorporated under Singaporean law. This means that the school is self-supporting and fully independent. All parents become members of Hollandse School Limited and are involved in their children’s education.